Friday, September 28, 2012

Chair Love...Refresh an oldie, but a goody! Part 1



If you follow me on Facebook, you know that I have been obsessed with chairs lately. I just can't seem to get enough of them! Fat ones, little ones, tall ones, squat ones (love that word...) I want to re-do them all! It's a great way to really change up a room without starting from scratch. A new chair or two, some amazing throw pillows and your room looks totally new.

PART 1

Today I wanna take you through my process for picking chairs that make great re-hab candidates.

Picking the right chair to rework is really the most important part of the process. If you choose a dud from the start, all your hard work could be a waste. We can't have that now can we??!!!

I have a couple of rules that I always follow when chair shopping:

1. The STURDY test...wiggle that sucker around! Is it sturdy, wobbly, wonky? Any of the pieces missing? Wood splitting? Is this something you can fix by yourself? Really...gotta be honest here people.

2. The BUTT test...sit in the chair, if it's not comfortable KEEP on walking baby, do not pass go and collect $200. Even if it's dirt cheap or free...NO NO NO. The shape of your butt will not morph to fit the chair, I've tried.

3. The SNIFF test...does it smell? Yup, you really gotta smell it! I mean, get in there and sniff around. Once a stinker, always a stinker! Words to live by. Unless you have a billion $$$$ to totally replace all the foam, not CHEAP, then again, walk away.

4. The SPECIAL test...what makes this chair worthy of your time? Cool lines? Something you've never seen before? Will fit in that spot just perfectly? I think there should always be something special about a project chair. You don't want to spend your time on ordinary.

Here's a couple of before pics. of my latest project chairs.


Stay tuned for Part 2, to paint or not to paint!

Have a good one,
Robin

No comments: