Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Could You Design a Room Around a Rug?


A few weeks ago I was contacted by a gal named Holly from the cool site, Charish to design a room around a vintage rug.  If you haven't heard of it, you should check it out.  It's a site filled with amazing vintage furnishings and decor that can be shipped right to your house. Gotta love that!

Now...onto the project!  I was given an assortment of vintage rugs to choose from.  My pick was a turquoise over-dyed Turkish patchwork vintage carpet.  They are pretty "hot" in the market place right now, and I am DYING to buy one.  (I'm a bit of a rug junkie.) Hubby has laid down the law...no more rugs!  So, this room will have to stay in my dreams.

If you follow me, you know that I love to mix and match; keeping things fun and unexpected.  I came up with the idea of designing a room for someone who is NOT afraid of color and lives on the wild side. So with fanfare and a drum roll, I give you.......

In keeping with the theme, Global Modern I wanted to bring in colors that would compliment the turquoise rug.  My go tos were orange and hot pink!  It's in the pillows and artwork.  Keeping the fabulous mid-century leather sofa white allows the pillows to shine, while still making sure the rug pops!  The cowhide zebra print French bergere chair and ottoman supplies texture and and reinforces the global design theme.  Hey, just sayin'....cowhide is hot, hot, hot! The inlay coffee table, with it's ivory details and warm wood tones, anchors the chair and the sofa.  The inlay design on the table gives a nod to ethnic/tribal style....oh my, just love this one.

The accessories are a blend of tradition and "swank".  Yup, I said it!  I don't think any room should be too serious!  The artwork is kept fun and colorful.  I just love the trend of gold foil in artwork going on right now.  Making sure the room doesn't get too crazy...gold and brass were brought in.  I love the clean lines of the vintage brass lamp! The brass elephant keeps with our theme and the vases add some glam.  Let's face it...fresh flowers make EVERY room better!

So there we are...Global Modern done Nest-style.  I'd love to hear what you think about it!

Have a good one,
Robin

No comments: