Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Take your daughter to work day....VINTAGE STYLE



It's been a long hot summer here in good ol' Boonsboro, MD.  Our schedule was jam packed with trips, vacations, camps, work, blah blah blah.  You get the picture!  I'm sure it looked pretty much the same in your neck of the woods.  (Gotta love a little Al Roker reference, baby!) 

When my little birdies are out of school I find it difficult to focus on my vintage business.  I just want to hang out and spend as much time as possible with them.  My oldest birdy is 26 and my youngest is 13.  I know their time in the "nest" is coming to an end.  This being said...when I do have to work in the summer I try to include a birdy or two whenever I can.  (Sometimes bribery comes into play.)  This is the topic of this blog post.


Take your daughter to work day.....Vintage Style!


 
 
I've mentioned my good friend Kelly from Madison & Mabel many times who is my vintage road trip partner in crime. Well, she has a daughter, Paige, about the same age as my little birdie, Bella. Get two crazy gals to thinkin' and voila, a plan to bring our girls with us on a flea market shopping day up in PA. 
 
 
 
Lunches/snacks packed, check! Clothes laid out the night before, check!  Alarm set for o dark thirty, check!
 
 
My sleepy-eyed birdy moaned and groaned as we hit the road to meet up with the M & M girls.  Kelly and I looked at each other with a mixture of fear and amusement as we listened to our daughters complain in the back seat.  Although the trip had just begun and both of us had packed all our food for the day, a little bribery was certainly in order. 
 
Moms:  "Girls...hang in there!  There's a Dunkin' Donuts just off the exit before we get to the flea market."
Girls:  "How long is it gonna take to get there?"
Moms:  "About two hours....just go to sleep."
Girls:  "Are we there yet?"
Girls:  "Are we there yet?"
Girls:  "Are we there yet?"
 
Well.....true to our word our first stop was for donuts.  By the time we got to Dunkin' Donuts they were crabby, lazy, sleepy and hungry.  This did not bode well for the rest of this vintage shopping trip. 
 
 
Insert 24 donut holes....YES 24, between the two and presto chango they were riding the sugar train!  Really hopped up on the "junk"!  Like Energizer bunnies, Bella and Paige were ready to shop!  If you know me you know that I'm a bit of a tree hugger when it comes to food.  No fast food, whole foods, organic, you get the idea.  But shopping is shopping, I figured that one donut frenzy is not gonna kill her.
 
Shop, shop, shop......blah blah blah
 
The four of us shopped our way through PA and were on our way home.  Lo and behold, what do we find?  A bakery that creates custom donuts!!  Really..... 
 
Girls:  "please, please, please....let us get some!!!"
Moms: "You already had donuts this morning!"
Girls: "Pah leeeeeze.........these are custom made!!!!!!"
Moms: "What the heck, you only live once!"
 
 
 
How was the vintage haul for this trip????  It S-U-C-K-E-D! Neither Kelly or I found any treasures, and quite frankly, hardly bought a thing.  And yet, for me, this was one of the best shopping trips I've ever been on.  It was a blast watching the girls act silly and just being girls.  At the end of the day, I work for myself so that I can spend time with my family.  And that's just what I did!!
 
Have a good one,
Robin
 
 

 


No comments: